Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Book Review: Picture Perfect by Hayden Hunt

After leaving a loveless marriage, Rich decides to come out of the closet and live life for himself instead of society. His first step is taking photography courses at the local college to make his hobby a real career.  He is less than enthused about his loud and obnoxious classmate.

Patrick's life is a mess of drama. His parents are divorcing and his mother treats him like a sounding board for bad mouthing his father. He's had it up to here, but can't seem completely ignore her calls because she's his mom. When he meets his handsome, mature classmate, Patrick thinks there may be a little light at the end of the tunnel.

This was a different read for me. I've enjoyed many of Hayden Hunt's books, but I couldn't become fully invested because the characters were unlikable to me.
  • Rich is extremely judgemental and rude in the beginning of the story. I completely understand how people can being annoying and get under your skin, but he jumped to conclusions right off the bat. Fortunately, he redeems himself and ends up being the character I liked the most.
  • Patrick seemed very easily influenced and unable to come to his own conclusions. He allowed his mother to manipulate him, even though he logically knew what she was doing. On one hand, I can empathize because I know what's like to have my parents divorce, but Patrick seemed to cling to his most toxic parent (and person in his life), and allowed her to steer his path, encouraging him to make horrible decisions based on insecurities.
  • Patrick's mother was pretty much the devil incarnate. She was selfish, manipulative, miserable and didn't care about anything except her self-imposed bad life.
This isn't my favorite Hayden Hunt book, but I still look forward to reading more from this author!

2.5 stars
I received a copy of this book from the author and voluntarily provided my honest review.

Buy Link
Amazon

~ M

No comments:

Post a Comment