Tuesday, May 6, 2014

I ❤ Yaoi: Sekaiichi Hatsukoi by Shungiku Nakamura

Ohayou!

Last year, when I finished reading the various volumes of Junjou Romantica that were out at the time, I moved on to another popular series by mangaka Shungiku Nakamura. This manga series soon became a favorite of mine that I still love to this day. Sekaiichi Hatsukoi (The World's Greatest First Love) tells the story of four couples who try to deal with their hectic work schedules at Marukawa Publishing and falling in love. Each couple has its own special inner workings and complicated backstories that I immediately became engrossed in.

Even though each couple is enjoyable, I can't help but have favorites. Onodera Ritsu, new shojo manga editor, and Takano Masamune, his editor-in-chief, brought a smile to my face as they continuously find themselves pushing and pulling each other in an effort to either gain affections or thwart them. They dated 10 years prior in high school, but a misunderstanding tore them apart. Once reunited, Takano is determined to make Onodera admit his feelings for him, come hell or high water.


Kisa Shōta, editor and Onodera's co-worker, and Yukina , student and sales clerk in the shojo manga section of a bookstore, melted my heart. They have an adorably sweet, old fashioned love story. Kisa is plagued with insecurities and doubts, but Yukina is confident in his love for his boyfriend and will stop at nothing to show his love and devotion.

The Sekaiichi Hatsukoi manga is certainly filled to the brim with emotion, but the anime takes it to a whole new level. I recently started watching episodes and managed to fall in love with these characters even more. There have been many instances when I felt like hearts and sparkles were surrounding me as I watched these men fall in love. It's truly a lovely experience.

Much like Junjou Romantica, Sekaiichi Hatsukoi is a good starting point for those who are new to yaoi manga. There are sexual scenes, and some are even explicit, but they're nothing outlandish or uncomfortable. As one of my all-time favorites, I highly recommend this beautiful series!
~ M

No comments:

Post a Comment